I’ve been a copy editor, proofreader, and writing consultant for the past 7 years. I bring 15 years of experience as an English & Writing professor; I read and commented on thousands of pages of writing in my teaching career. I’m just as strong editing or trimming copy as I am proofing it, and I regularly draw on my teaching experience in helping clients plan and develop their writing. Chances are that if you need help with a writing project, I can do it.
I offer progressive services, depending on what you need and when you need it:
- Have a novel or other project that needs a fresh set of eyes to tell you if it works? I’ll give you an aerial view.
- Need direction, a workable timeline, and regular consulting on an in-progress draft and set of ideas? I’ll be your developmental editor.
- Have a completed draft that needs line-by-line tightening, correcting, and querying? I’ll give you a thorough copy edit.
- Need an objective look at your work’s style, word choices, grammar, and flow from someone who isn’t an expert? I’ll be your educated nonspecialist editor.
- Have a finished manuscript that you need to submit to a publisher or graduate committee. I’ll give you a pre-submission edit.
- Need a sharp eye for detail before submitting completed project—book, proposal, blog post, article, cover letter, résumé, etc.? I’ll be your proofreader.
Since 2010, I’ve worked on a variety of projects, including:
- an EdTech company’s archive of proposals;
- academic books, essay collections, essays, and journal articles;
- novel and memoir manuscripts;
- nonfiction book manuscripts;
- dissertations and Master’s theses;
- a museum exhibit program;
- nonprofit proposals to the State Department and other government agencies.
Please contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org or @Joe_Fru on Twitter) to discuss your project and needs. I offer a free 20-minute video chat to discuss your work, expectations, process, and fee range.
My fee depends on your project’s length, timeline, and level of editing required:
- Article, Essay, Conference Paper, or other Short-Form Work: $500-$1,500
- Thesis (M.A., M.S., or M.F.A.): $750-$1,500
- Dissertation, Book, Essay Collection, or other Long-Form Work: $1,500-$3,000
- Aerial view (no editing; only comments) of a Manuscript: $500-1000
The fee includes 1-2 optional Skype sessions to discuss your edits and revision plan. I require a portion of the project cost up front, and I’ll send an estimate and work scope for us to agree on before I begin.