I work as a freelance copy editor, proofreader, and writing consultant with 15+ years of experience in higher ed and 6+ years as a freelancer. I’m flexible in what I offer: developmental work, line-by-line editing, meticulous proofreading, and final polishing before submission.
I’m just as strong editing or trimming copy as I am proofing it, and I regularly draw on my teaching experience in helping clients plan and develop their writing. Since 2010, I’ve worked on a variety of projects, including:
- scholarly monographs, essays, and journal articles;
- scholarly essay collections
- novel and memoir manuscripts;
- nonfiction book manuscripts;
- dissertations and Master’s theses;
- nonprofit proposals to State and other government agencies;
I’ve done well as an educated nonspecialist on several projects, including books on business leadership, religious history, Old English poetry, Latin music in 1970s New York, and other topics. The authors chose me specifically because I wasn’t an expert in the topic; they wanted an objective look at the style, word choices, grammar, and overall flow.
Please contact me (email@example.com or @ProfessorEx74 on Twitter) to discuss your project and needs. I offer a free 30-minute video chat to discuss your work, expectations, process, and fee range:
- Article, Essay, Conference Paper, or other Short-Form Work: $500-$1,500
- Thesis (M.A., M.S., or M.F.A.): $750-$1,500
- Dissertation, Book, Essay Collection, or other Long-Form Work: $1,500-$3,000
- Aerial view (no editing; only comments) of a Manuscript: $500-1000
My fee depends on your project’s length, timeline, and level of editing required. The fee includes 1-2 optional Skype sessions to discuss your edits and revision plan. I require a portion of the project cost up front, and I’ll send an estimate and work scope for us to agree on before I begin the work.
References available upon request.